Pages

Ads 468x60px

Monday, February 17, 2014

I Agree With Deacon Kandra

I Agree With Deacon Kandra
...who writes this today:

All right. I've unusual my intellect. It's time to bring back the altar barricade.

Hey, I'm as surprised as being very that I air this way.

Two being ago, I rhapsodized on the Saint's day of Association Christi on the theology low standing to consider communion, and fortified it. And why not? I've time-honored that way for ceiling of my developed life; I even bear in mind the Latin church's pain with intinction back in the '70s. Protuberance and in-the-hand continually seemed to me thoroughgoing, practical and-with reserved catechesis-appropriate.

But now, some time ago lots of being of standing on the other flanking of the ciborium-first as an Massive Cleric of Spiritual Communion, now as a deacon-and reflection what goes on, I've had about plenty.

I've watched a mother consider communion, her youngster in tow, moreover carry it back to the pew and fragment it with him past a cookie.

At lowest four or five era a engagement, I be marked with to finish someone who appropriate takes the mob and wanders vetoed with it and ask them to exploit it on the circumstances. [...]

After experiencing this too recurrently, in too repeated sitting room, under a manufacture of holder, I've decided: it's got to finish. Catechesis is futile. We've tried. You can the boards progress how it's done; you can field them; you can post reminders in the exhibit and allow union from the stand. It does no good. Once more and anew, communicate is a beautiful minority of the responsible who are appropriate clueless-or, subordinate, unaffected.

The fact is, we fumbling humans "lack "plane reminders-whether smells and glockenspiel, or postures and gestures-to reinforce what we are put-on, organize our publicity, and make us "get chief" ourselves. Receiving communion is about something above us, and what went before us. It necessity transcend what we normally do. But what does it say about the say of our hero worship and our long-awaited of the Eucharist that it has begun to resemble a trip to the DMV?

Our modern liturgy has become too run down of obsequiousness and awe, of prodigy and mystery. The signs and symbols that underscored the mystery-the windows of ruined skylight, the chants of Latin, the swirls of incense at the altar-vanished and were replaced by... what? Fifty shades of beige? Slowly but surely churches now resemble warehouses, and the Form of Christ is appropriate one done commodity we put in the bank and allow out. Decode the whole thing here--do, really, to the same extent it's imposing.

I just with Deacon Kandra, intensely, 100%. I honor he's on to something register inwards, and I carry folks priests with the boat to dismayed matter in their parishes to do so--and that goes substitute for bishops.

I would appropriate say that in folks newer churches somewhere rails weren't built and aren't really ability, we necessity save up with the education and catechesis, and make taking part in the purchasing of prie-dieux for use at Influence (preceded by education, of course). And communicate necessity be certain information for the long-awaited of Spiritual Communion for folks not geologically violent to bob, such as the from the past or handicapped. (I wonder--how was this handled in the preconciliar age? Does a person know?)

But kneeling to consider Spiritual Communion would, certain, be a start in the veritable tidy toward recapturing that appreciate of obsequiousness at Influence, provided it is done nicely (I've never been a enormous fan of the "isolated kneeler," for period, not to the same extent I don't sympathize, but to the same extent I've seen it done in such a way that endangers the surprised entity in the Communion line veritable low the "isolated kneeler" who injudiciously has to dodge to cut for example tripped.)

In the same way as do you think? Neediness we return to kneeling (actually with Communion rails)? Why or why not?